Ch. O. Werner founded his instrument workshop in 1879. As a young man, he had trained with instrument maker C. L. Jacoby in Stockholm, Sweden, and had subsequently worked with prominent instrument makers in Germany, Belgium, France and England.
In the early 1890s, Ch. O. Werner relocated to Hantverkargatan 4 on the island of Kungsholmen in Stockholm. A large dressing factory was established an in 1899 the company expanded to include the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals. Despite being elected a member of the College of Physicians in 1894, unlike Albert and Max Stille, he rarely appeared at its meetings.
His passion for other products other than instruments is also reflected in Ch. O. Werner’s early 20th century catalogues which focus more on dressings, prosthetics, and pharmaceuticals.
Talks about a possible merger of Stille and Ch.O. Werner began as early as in the 1890s, but it was not until a some years after the deaths of both Max Stille and Ch. O. Werner that this became a reality.